Psychology is the science of the mind and behavior. The term “psychology” comes from the Greek word psyche and logia. The meaning of the psyche is breath, spirit, and soul and the meaning of logia is the study of something. Human mind is a highly complex and enigmatic but with the help of these subject anyone can understand it. The Psychology helps the learner in developing personal growth and effectiveness so they becomes responsive and responsible citizens. The psychologist easily understand the thoughts, cognition, emotions, dreams, perception that can not be seen by any physician such as medical surgeon. They use human behavior as an evidence to define that how the mind works.
Many branches of the psychology are available. Here we are highlighting some main branches of the psychology. They are as follow:
- Clinical psychology: The study of maladjustment, disability, and discomfort is done by the clinical psychology. It integrates the science, theory, and practice to achieve this.
- Cognitive psychology: It examines the internal mental processes like problem solving, memory, language, learning, and similar. It is related with the neuroscience, linguistics, and philosophy.
- Development psychology: It examines the psychological changes of a person that he or she experiences during his or her life span. It mainly focus on infants and young children.
- Evolutionary psychology: It examines the human behavior affected by the psychological adjustments during evolution.
- Forensic psychology: It examines the criminal investigation and law in order to interact with judges, lawyers, and other professionals of the legal system.
- Health psychology: It observes the behavior, biology, social context that influence illness and health.
- Neuropsychology: It observes the structure and function of the brain in order to understand the behavior and psychological processes.
Only CBSE board introduce the subject in their secondary education course. Psychology is introduced as an elective subject at the higher secondary stage by the CBSE board. The main objective to selecting the subject in the course is to develop a appreciation about human behavior and human mind. After studying the subject, the students becomes more perceptive, socially aware, and self-reflective.